posted this 14 December 2012
Did you know that Cambodia changed its official name 6 times in the last century?
- The Kingdom of Cambodia (1953 - 1970)
- The Khmer Republic (1970 - 1975)
- Democratic Kampuchea (1975 - 1979)
- The People's Republic of Kampuchea (1979 - 1989)
- State of Cambodia (1989 - 1993)
- The Kingdom of Cambodia (1993 - present)
Before 1953, Cambodia was part of the colony of French Indochina. Also interesting to know is that Cambodia was known as "Democratic Kampuchea" during the Khmer Rouge regime. Quite ironic when you think about it...