30 C
Siem Reab, Cambodia
Monday, August 21, 2017

Recommended books about Cambodia

Home Forum Cambodia Forum General Questions & Information Recommended books about Cambodia

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Siemreap.net
    Keymaster

Hi,

I would like to put a list together of interesting books about Cambodia. I’m thinking in the first place about the recent history (Khmer Rouge, Pol Pot, etc.), but I’m interested in any other good books as well! As long as the main subject is Cambodia!

These are the books that I’ve read and can recommend so far:

• Cambodia’s Curse, The Modern History of a Troubled Land by Joel Brinkley – An easy to read book that sheds some light on Cambodia’s complex recent history, from the French occupation till the reign of the Khmer Rouge and even the current political situation.
    • First They Killed My Father by Loung Ung – A heartbreaking autobiography of a 5 year old girl that survived the horrors of the Khmer Rouge

Who can recommend some other books?

Thanks!
    Chris

Robin
    Participant

These books are also interesting:

• Dancing in shadows by Benny Widyono, telling the story of a United Nations official working in Cambodia during the fall of the Khmer Rouge
    • When the war was over: Cambodia and the Khmer Rouge revolution by Elizabeth Becker, being a journalist for the Washington Post and covering Cambodia during the Khmer Rouge regime

Robin

Sarah Rhodes
    Participant

Cambodia’s Curse was a very thorough account!

• sequel to First They Killed my Father – is Lucky Child; this book gives the after the war story when Loung is in America and her sister’s story of remaining in Cambodia, Loung’s struggles with PTSD and a some insight into what happened after the war was ‘over’.
    • The Cambodia Campaign – just started reading this
    • When Broken Glass Floats by Chanthy Him – excellent.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.