16 multidisciplinary artists have embarked on an existential journey to the Kingdom of Cambodia across 4 provinces to discover stories of inspiration and magic! Dabaki acts as a platforms for these artists to showcase their work in collaboration with fellow artists and local artists from Cambodia. Travel has a new meaning for these dreamers as they look for inspiration and stories to share.
Da, Ba & Ki represent three questions:
“Where are you from? What feeds your soul? and Where are you going?”
The opening night of the journey is a special event, organised in association with ‘Pancart’ initiative by Martin Hablitzel where the artists showcase their stories and art in an interactive evening at Siem Reap’s New Leaf Eatery, this Saturday February 10.
The nine-day voyage is an amalgamation of a good number of performances and workshops which will play a key role in catalysing Dabaki’s creative output. The group of dreamers will get to experience the Apsara dance, a traditional style of dance dating back to the Angkorian era, the Phare Circus, the Cambodian Living Arts Show, a recycling workshop run by Naga Earth to learn about the environmental impact of the hospitality industry on the local community, a print making workshop at Kampot Arts & Music Association, artist workshops at Nowhere Art Studio and so on.
“Two months after the journey, the artists will present their projects at an event,” shares Akhil Reddy Kommidi, the curator of this movement. But what they are going to present and the medium which they choose to share it is left open-ended, as it should be. “No artist likes to work in a constrained environment. I am curating the journey, plugging in the resources and the rest is up to them,” he says.
Highlights of the Journey:
- Day 1: Angkor Wat at Sunset & Opening Night (Artists Showcase) (Siem Reap)
- Day 2: Temple Explorations of Bayon, Baphoun, Ta Prohm & Ta Som (Siem Reap)
- Day 3: Kbal Spean (River of 1000 Lingas) & Naga Earth Recycling Workshop (Siem Reap)
- Day 4: Drive to Phnom Penh & Cambodian Live Arts Immersion (Phnom Penh)
- Day 5: Workshop(Nowhere Art Studio) & Art Walk(Phnom Penh Art Galleries) (Phnom
- Day 6 – Cycling Tour, Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum & Drive to Kampot
- Day 7 – Bokor Mountain Trek & Print Making Workshop with KAMA (Kampot)
- Day 8 – Ferry to Rabbit Island & Sunset Walk (Kep)
- Day 9 – Sunrise on the island & Drive to Phnom Penh Airport
- Where: Pancart @ New Leaf Eatery
- When: Saturday, February 10, 7pm – 9.30pm
- More info: Facebook event page
Akhil Reddy Kommidi, curator