27 C
Siem Reab, Cambodia
Thursday, March 23, 2017

Work permit 2017

Home Forum Siem Reap Forum Living & Working Work permit 2017

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of barangchas
    barangchas
    Participant

So i went to pay for the work permit today and found out that the cost went up by 40% compared to last year! I paid 140 usd (553,330 riel), compared to 100usd in 2016. This is a breakdown of the fees.

• Foreign Work Permit: 400,000 riel
    • Medical Checkup Verification: 20,000 riel
    • Supporting and Online fee: 120,300 riel
    • VAT 10%: 12,030 riel
    • ACLEDA processing fee: 1,000 riel

So nearly 140usd. Then there is also the cost of the medical checkup: 25usd. And the bribes for getting the residency papers: 5usd for immigration police, 5usd for the guy at the commune office.

So full cost this year 175usd, a lot of wasted time and a lot of “chu kbaal” to understand which documents are needed and how to get them.

I’m especially fed up with the “Supporting and Online fee” of 30USD. Which support are they talking about? And shouldn’t online processing be cheaper than manual processing???

Okay, that’s the end of my rant for now… Thanks for listening! 🙂

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Participant

Hi, nice to see some new people on the forum! Correct, 30 US Dollars supporting fee is steep, given the lack of information about the new work permit application.

The Cambodian government has given the responsibility to process foreign work permits to a private company called E-Solutions (Cambodia) Co. It’s not known who owns this company or how they were able to secure this (pretty lucrative) government contract. I did some research but was not able to find a website or other online presence. In 2016, there were around 36000 work permit registrations, which means E-Solutions will make at least a million US Dollars in revenue this year. Not bad for a ghost company without any online presence or previous experience in developing IT systems.

The Cambodia Daily and the Phnom Penh Post have written news stories about E-Solutions.

Phnom Penh Post: http://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/ghosts-machine

Little is known of E-Solutions, which was incorporated in December 2015, and even less is known about the government’s selection process. Despite the technological innuendo of its name, the company has no corporate website or public web presence, and no track record.

Cambodia Daily: https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/private-firm-takes-responsibility-work-permits-117428/

The Ministry of Labor passed all responsibility for foreign work permits today to E-Solutions (Cambodia) Co., leaving a multitude of unanswered questions about the private company that will process, produce and distribute the permits online.

Ministry spokesman Heng Sour declined to answer questions about the company, its ownership or why it lacked a web presence a day before it was supposed to take over the online permitting. Instead, he referred all questions to the government proclamation, or prakas, signed earlier this month that regulates the process.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.